This collection of winemaking technical articles draws on a huge reserve of knowledge and experience, both inside and outside of our club, in the art and science of fine winemaking:
- Acid/pH Adjustments, by Bill Collings
- Influence of pH, by Ben Rotter
- Acid Control in Winemaking, Part One: Measurement and Adjustment of Titratable Acidity (or TA) and pH, by Charles Plant
- Acid Control in Winemaking, Part Two: Reducing Acid with Malolactic Fermentation (or MLF), by Charles Plant
- The Concept of Balance in Wine, by Peter Bell
- Titration for Tartaric and Malic Acids, by Bill Collings
- Titratable Acidity Titrametric Procedure Using NaOH (Sodium Hydroxide), by Ralph N. Weiss
- Acid Reduction Techniques in Must and Wine, by Todd Steiner
- Simple De-acidification Calculator, by Jonathan Musther
- Fining and Fining Agents, by Bill Collings
- Fining, by Ben Rotter
- Bentonite Fining for Juice and Wine, by Bruce Zoecklein
- Protein Fining Agents for Juices and Wines, by Dr. Bruce Zoecklein
- Clarification and Stabilization, by Wally Darling
- Clarification: Fining to Reduce Astringency, by Dr. James Harbertson
- Fining Wines for Structure, Balance and Finish, by Diana Burnett
- Yeast Fining , by Dr. Bruce Zoecklein
- Post Fermentation Processing, by Linda Bisson
- Fermentation Additions Spreadsheet (for red wines) , by Pepe Kubon
- Pre-fermentation Cold Maceration, by Ben Rotter
- Preventing and Fixing a Stuck Fermentation, by Sigrid Gertsen-Briand
- Overcoming Stuck and Sluggish Fermentations, by Gordon Specht, Lallemand
- Scott Labs Recommended Method to Restart Stuck Fermentations
- Factors Influencing Fermentation
- Délestage, by Dominique Delteil
- Délestage Fermentation, by Daniel Pambianchi
- Delestage: An Attempt to Balance Flavor and Finish, by Dr. Tom Cottrell
- BCAWA 2005 Lallemand/Scott Labs Seminar (6.3 MB, seems to require a password?)
- Fermentations: Problems, Solutions and Prevention, by J.R. Morris, G. Main and R. Threlfall
- Lysozyme to Control Lactic Acid Bacteria During Alcoholic Fermentation, by Mirian Moraes and Lars Petersen
- Producing a Healthy Fermentation, by Dr. Bruce Zoecklein
- The Alcoholic Fermentation, by Linda Bisson
- ICV: Nitrogen Nutrition of Yeasts
- Short maceration: a new mediterranean vision, by Dominique Delteil
- The Role of Oxygen in Winemaking, by Alison Crowe
- Approximate YAN Contribution for the Important Yeast Nutrients
- Changes in YAN During Alcoholic Fermentation , by Al Lewis
- YAN and Nitrogen in Wine and the Vine (35.7 MB) with Supporting Documents , by Al Lewis
- YAN Addition Calculator , by Clem Joyce
- Yeast Nutrition and Protection for Reliable Alcoholic Fermentation , Lallemand
- Impact of Delestage with Partial Seed Removal (end pages missing), by Dr. Bruce Zoecklein et al
- Tweaks and Fixes: New Developments in Improving Quality and Managing Problems , by Alan Marks
- Smoke Taint ClearUp Protocol , by Carsten Heinemeyer (via Alan Marks, Scott Labs)
- White Winemaking with Grapes Affected by Smoke Taint , Scott Labs
- Red Winemaking with Grapes Affected by Smoke Taint , Scott Labs
All the articles that were previously listed in this section have become unavailable. We are looking for suitable replacements. Stay tuned for future updates.
- Potassium Sorbate, by Bill Collings
- Potassium Sorbate Table, from "Making Better Wines" by Ted Underhill
- Cryo Concentrated Dessert Wine, by Charles Plant
- Hydrogen Sulfide and its Derivatives, by Bill Collings
- Winemaking Fermentation Techniques and Mouthfeel:
An ICV Perspective , by Dominique Delteil
- To Sterilize or
Just Clean , by Lum Eisenman
- Cleaning Your Equipment, from "How to Brew" by John Palmer
- Gases in Wine , by Lum Eisenman
- Rehydration — Adding Water to High Sugar Grapes, from Brehm Vineyards
- Barrels and Wine , by Wally Darling
- Barrel Maintenance
- Barrel Management for the Home Winemaker, by Douglas F. Markle
- Winemaking at High pH, by Clark Smith
- Hydrometer Readings - Allowing
for Suspended Solids, by Allison Crowe
- Enzymes in Winemaking, by Karien Lourens & Patrice Pellerin
- Preparation of Wine Analysis Solutions, by Douglas F. Markle
- Stabilizing Sweet Wines , by Lum Eisenman
- The Next Chapter in the Terroir Debate, by Roger C. Bohmrich
- Brettanomyces/Dekkera During Winemaking, Part 1 & Part 2, by Adriaan Oelofse
- How Sweet It Is: Chaptalization, by Jeff Chorniak
- The Role of Oxygen in Winemaking, by Alison Crowe - shows up but access is restricted
- Alcohol Reduction Chart , by Dale Vick
- Components of Red Wine Mouthfeel, by Dr. Bruce Zoecklein
- Getting the Best Out of Our Grapes, by Clem Joyce
- Modern Home Winemaking: A Guide to Making Consistently Great Wines.
Montreal: Véhicule Press, 2021, 1st edition.
- Home Winemaking Step by Step: A Guide to Fermenting Wine Grapes.
Medford, OR: Stonemark Publishing, 1998, 1st Edition. Latest version 2009, 4th edition.
- Concepts in Wine Technology.
San Francisco: The Wine Appreciation Guild, 2004. Latest version 2012, 3rd edition.
- Making Better Wines.
Victoria, BC: Monk Office Supply, 1997.
- Techniques in Home Winemaking.
Montreal: Véhicule Press, 2002, 1st edition. Revised and updated 2008, 2nd edition.
- The Complete Handbook of Winemaking.
Ann Arbor, MI: G.W. Kent, Inc., 1994, 1st edition.